Frequently Asked Questions

What is a relief print?
A relief print is made when ink is rolled onto the surface of a plate, commonly a carved woodblock or Linoleum plate. When an image is carved into a plate it creates two surfaces that will hold ink… the top surface that has not been cut away – the relief surface, and the crevice that is created. Once the surface has been covered in a fine and even layer of ink, it it then covered with paper and pressed to transfer the ink and image onto the paper. A press, baren, or even your feet can be used to create this image transfer from the relief surface. Relief printing has been used for centuries, for art prints, wallpaper production, fabric decoration and more. You may have even tried it your self at school making a simple potato print.

What is an intaglio print?
Intaglio printmaking is the term given to a printmaking technique where the image is created by transferring the ink pressed into the etched crevices of a plate onto paper. With an etching, a metal plate is prepared with an image. Chemicals are used to ‘etch’ the lmage leaving a high surface and a crevice. Ink is rubbed into the crevices, and damp paper laid over the top. This is put through a press where the damp paper will press into the crevices gathering the ink. This results in an image transfer from plate to paper, an intaglio print.

What is a collagraph print?
A collagraph print gets its name form the word ‘Collage’. A Plate, often stiff cardboard or timber, is covered with an image created from glued on materials. These could be paper, sand, carborundum, tin foil, leaves, string… and more. The essential criteria is that they are not thick, often under one millimetre. Ink is applied and rubbed into the crevices. It is then up to the artist to determine how much ink is left on the surface, or if they would like to roll or apply more ink to the surface. This makes a Collagraph print potentially both a relief print and an intaglio print at the same time. Damp paper is applied to bend into the crevices to gather the ink when it is put through a printing press.

Do you do original artwork commissions?
Yes. I can produce an original commissioned artwork for you in the form of drawings or Lino cut prints. The easiest way to do this is from a photograph. Many of my clients have family members and pets that they would like captured in an original artwork. An additional personalisation can be the inclusion of wording – an extract from a favourite poem or story, a dedication, or even song lyrics. Please Contact me with your ideas. We can discuss creative ideas and arrive at a quote for you.

Can you post original artwork?
Yes. Artworks on paper are easily posted using a tube and protective wrapping. Postal costs are determined after the address has been supplied. All my original prints and drawings come with a certificate of authenticity too. See my Portfolio and let me know what you would like!

What is your preferred method of payment?
Easiest all round is EFT. Electronic Funds Transfer. When you have decided on your original artwork I will provide you with my details. Once your payment has been received I will arrange postage as required. I also provide receipts.

Do you charge any GST on your artwork?
No. I am not registered to collect GST. That means prices indicated in the Portfolio are the price to you. Postage costs are determined separately.

What is a giclee print?
A giclee print is a commercial printing progress that utilises archieaval quality paper and inks. Usually an original work of art is photographed or scanned, and printed with an inkjet printer. These prints are long lasting and fade resistant due to the superior quality of the inks. The quality paper is acid free meaning that it will not easily discolour or warp as it is made from cotton or linen rag rather than wood fibre pulp. A giclee print is therefore more expensive than other inkjet prints due to the high standard of reproduction.